During applications, I've had quite a few people asking me for further details about the art style I am looking for. I thought I would quickly go into more detail about a suitable art style.
To a large extent, I want to be able to give artists creative freedom in terms of the look and aesthetic this game might need. I am not an artist myself, so a lot of decisions (in terms of looks etc) would be left up to you.
These are the limits that an artist must work within though for this project:
- The style of art (with the exception of backgrounds) must be pixel art: I am using GameMaker Studio for this project, which works really well for pixel art, but changing the project to make it compatible to other styles of art (such as vector art) can be a bit of a pain.
- The size of characters must be maximum 64 x 64 pixels: They can be smaller if need be.
- The characters should not have oversized heads: what big heads do is often make the characters look cute, which is not what I want for this project.
- The characters can't have tiny limbs: There will be a lot of punching/kicking/fighting sprites/animations. If the limbs are tiny, it will make the fighting difficult to see.
- It must be visually obvious when a character is punching with his left hand vs punching with his right hand.
This game parodies an over-the-top action movie, where explosions are huge, muscles are bulging, and testosterone levels are high. The game must be a lot of fun to watch.
If you have an idea what this might look like (and still fit into those limitations) I would love to see what you've got.
On that note, here is a gallery of some (but definitely not all) of the pixel art character style I've seen on the web which I think could potentially suit this project:
click images to see full scale
and here is some background art: (click to see full scale - also, Vector Graphics can be used for backgrounds)